uniladtech homepage
  • News
    • Tech News
    • AI
  • Gadgets
    • Apple
    • iPhone
  • Gaming
    • Playstation
    • Xbox
  • Science
    • News
    • Space
  • Streaming
    • Netflix
  • Vehicles
    • Car News
  • Social Media
    • WhatsApp
    • YouTube
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
TikTok
Snapchat
WhatsApp
Submit Your Content
Hackers steal $1,500,000,000 from crypto exchange Bybit in 'biggest digital heist in history'
Home>News
Published 10:28 25 Feb 2025 GMT

Hackers steal $1,500,000,000 from crypto exchange Bybit in 'biggest digital heist in history'

The hackers sent the money to an unidentified address

Rikki Loftus

Rikki Loftus

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Cryptocurrency
Cybersecurity
News
Money

Advert

Advert

Advert

Hackers have stolen a whopping $1.5 billion from the crypto exchange Bybit in the ‘biggest digital heist in history’.

The crypto exchange firm has stated that it is the victim of one of the biggest online thefts ever, reporting that over a billion dollars has gone missing.

On Friday (February 21), a transfer of the cryptocurrency Ethereum was ‘manipulated’ by hackers who were able to transfer the huge sum to an unidentified address, according to Bybit.

The company went on to say that the incident led to a spike in withdrawal requests.

Advert

Bybit was victim to one of the biggest digital heists in history (Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Bybit was victim to one of the biggest digital heists in history (Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Bybit has said that its ‘swift and transparent crisis management ensured that the crypto market remained stable, with no significant price volatility’.

In a statement, the firm continued: “Despite the significant scale of the hack, Bybit’s 1:1 reserve guarantee ensured that client assets remained fully intact.

“Bybit CEO Ben Zhou reassured users that Bybit is solvent and can cover the loss, emphasizing that all client assets are backed on a one-to-one basis. This guarantee demonstrates Bybit’s financial stability and commitment to user security.”

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Zhou wrote: “12 hr from the worst hack in history. ALL withdraws have been processed. Our withdraw system is now fully back to normal pace, you can withdraw any amount and experience no delays. Thanks for your patience and we are sorry that this has happened.


“Bybit will come out with full incident report as well as security measurement in the next few days. I will also personally keep you all posted on any new updates.

“Thanks to all the clients, friends and partners who have helped and supported us during this excruciation 12 hrs. The real work has just now started.”

Reassuring users of the crypto exchange, Zhou previously shared on X that the firm ‘can cover the loss’.

While this appears to be the biggest digital theft ever recorded, it isn’t the only incident of hackers stealing crypto in recent months.

In December 2024, the FBI, the Defense Department and National Police Agency of Japan all released a joint statement which blamed hackers in North Korea for stealing $308 million from a Japanese cryptocurrency company.

Speaking to CNN, Nick Carlsen, a former FBI intelligence analyst, said: “The current strategy from governments and industry clearly isn’t working.

“People should be going back through the drawing board right now on how to deter and punish North Korea for these hacks.”

Choose your content:

12 hours ago
13 hours ago
15 hours ago
  • Thana Prasongsin / Getty
    12 hours ago

    New warning for some people taking vitamin D or calcium following man admitted to hospital after taking supplement

    It might seem healthy but it could actually be harmful

    Science
  • Bloomberg / Contributor / Getty
    13 hours ago

    Elon Musk delivers one-word response to Jeff Bezos' divisive interview on 'charitable giving'

    Are the Tesla boss and Amazon overlord finally ready to bury the hatchet?

    News
  • Francis Chung/Politico/Bloomberg via Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Elon Musk tried to dodge a $650,000 fine by claiming Twitter 'no longer exists'

    Elon Musk changed Twitter's name to X when he took over

    News
  • Tara Moore / Getty
    15 hours ago

    New trend 'sleepmaxxing' explained as doctor issues warning it could damage your health

    Few things are more important to your health than good sleep

    Science
  • Danger warning issued following $400,000,000 cyberattack on major crypto platform
  • Google issues eerily dystopian warning as hackers use AI to break into company computers
  • Reason suspect in biggest jewelry heist in US history will not stand trial
  • Trump makes history with controversial new crypto laws experts say could be dangerous